Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

Am 17.02.2005 um 17:05 schrieb Cyrus Daboo:
> Hi Julian,
>
> --On February 17, 2005 2:54:38 PM +0100 Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> 1) CalDav's approach is: use PUT to an arbitrary member URI of the
>> container; then let the server automagically move it somewhere else,
>> and
>> report that in the Location response header
>> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-addmember
>> -00.html#r
>> fc.section.A.2>).
>
> I want to add that in the CalDAV case this URI naming restriction will
> also apply to COPY and MOVE methods too, not just PUT. So we do need
> to come up with a solution that at least works with those methods too.
> Of course it is possible to emulate COPY and MOVE using PUT (client
> downloads original data, creates it in new location) and DELETE
> (remove old data in the case of MOVE) - but we should really have the
> proper atomic operations for this.

It seems to me that however you solve the PUT/ADDMEMBER/POST problem,
it can be used to solve the MOVE and COPY scenarios as well, at least
for single, plain resources:

PUT/ADDMEMBER/POST a new, empty resource -> 201 with Location
COPY/MOVE to that new Location

Would this work?

//Stefan