RE: [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@soe.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:46:30 -0800
To: "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@gbiv.com>, "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Julian,

Thanks for writing this draft -- I've been thinking along similar lines
recently.

Roy Fielding writes:
> Julian, POST to a collection resource is already defined as
> adding a member resource.  That was its very first definition
> (hence, named after NNTP's post) and remains applicable today.

RFC 2616 states:
"The actual function performed by the POST method is determined by the
server and is usually dependent on the Request-URI."

>From a client perspective this makes POST unreliable, and leads to the
desire to define a new method.

Besides, despite what RFC 2616 actually says, POST is really the protocol
tunneling and form submission method.

- Jim