Re: lock-null's Still Locked after MKCOL or PUT conversion?

From: John Baumgarten <jbaumgarten@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:13:04 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

BTW, at Apple (.Mac, that is) we will be moving away from lock-nulls
toward a 2518bis-06 style treatment of "namespace reservation".  As
suggested, we create a zero-byte locked resource, but we add with a
special property "namespace-reservation" in our server namespace.  The
value of this property is the lock-token that created it.

We allow the following "legacy" behavior on a namespace-reservation
resource:

1. If converted by any PUT, the special property is removed.  Thus the
resource is no longer a "namespace-reservation".

2.  A MKCOL is allowed on this resource if the namespace-reservation
property is still present, which then removes the special property.

3.  If an UNLOCK method is successfully executed on the resource
passing the lock-token that created the namespace-reservation, while it
still possess the special property, the resource is deleted.
Successful execution requires ownership of the lock.