Re: ETags?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:29:57 +0100
To: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
CC: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Brian Korver wrote:

> Right, that's what I believe it says too, but I think that may be
> counter-intuitive for some implementers -- who may in fact miss
> this text in 3.11 and to implement expecting that they can assume
> it's the same entity.

I'm not sure why implementers who are going to miss a specific section
in RFC2616 aren't going to miss other important sections in RFC2616,
RFC2518 or BIND as well -- so I don't buy that as reason to repeat
something that another spec (normatively referenced) already says.

Have you actually *seen* implementers make that mistake? In which case a
request for clarification should be added to the RFC2616 errata list.

Best regards, Julian