Re: Coments, please (was Re: Working group process and the future of the WG.)

The server-side perspective from Apple is as follows:

1.  We often have weeks to implement a feature, so waiting months for
an RFC is not practical.  That said, we're strong supporters of
standards and endeavor to implement them as accurately as possible.
When we have implemented a feature in a custom way, and a subsequent
standard is released, we again endeavor to expose the feature also
via the standard mechanism.

2.  We currently support a fairly complete and compliant ACL
implementation that includes the 3744 framework.

3.  We find BIND overly complex for our needs and have implemented a
much simpler linking mechanism that maps well onto the concept of
iDisk ("rooted subtrees") ownership by paying customers that wish to
share resources.  (Note our recent "family pack" offerings.)

4.  Investigation of Redirect is on our to-do list.

5.  We support a "ranged PUTs" custom extension, which seems to be
adequate for out needs.  But would probably implement the PATCH
mechanism if completed.

6.  We have abandoned DeltaV for now.

7.  Jim stated out position on Quota.

WebDAV and related protocols are and will continue to be essential to
the .Mac service offerings.

JS "Jake" Baumgarten
.Mac Backend Server Engineering
Apple Computer