Re: WGLC draft-ietf-webdav-quota-07

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I would like to start working group last call
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-07.txt
>
> This WGCL will end on June 27th so please have your comments emailed to this
> list before then.
>
> Thank you, Cullen

Hi,

we (greenbytes, currently contracting for SAP), do not intend to
implement the QUOTA spec any time soon, but we do feel that the spec is
stable and mature, and it is suited as an interoperable base for a set
of differing quota implementations.

Some more thoughts:

- The spec started as a description of a very specific quota
implementation, which wasn't directly implementable for other quota
systems such as the Unix one; as far as I can tell, this problem has
been resolved.

- The spec still contains a somewehat arbitrary optimization for a
specific type of implementation (requiring live properties on
collections but not on it's members). I'd prefer that one to be removed,
simplifying the spec a bit more, but unless others feel the same way, we
should probably leave things as they are (WG dicussion back in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005JanMar/0322.html>)

- The spec currently suggests that disk limits to be marshalled as
quotas. I'm not sure this is a good idea (for instance, Unix handles
those very differently), but again I'm not planning to lie down in the
road because of it.

Best regards,