Re: WGLC draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-12

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> The main flaw in the REDIRECT proposal is that there is not enough in
> the way of plans to implement it.  Without a set of independent
> implementors around to review it, I fear it's too complex or has missed
> key interoperability issues.

I do agree that there seems to be more interest in BIND than REDIRECT.
On the other hand, I disagree that because of this it can't start at
"Proposed" (as Jim W. pointed out some time ago in a similar dicussion
for BIND).

If the working group feels that it's too early to go to "Proposed", I
think "Experimental" would make sense. It would preserve the work that
has been done; and if at a later point of time more implementations
appear, it can be rev'd up.

> To be clear, I do understand that the Web needs and uses redirects, and
> I see that administrators do create them and that browsers follow
> redirect status codes.  I'm arguing that there isn't a clear need for
> interoperable authoring of redirect resources, or if there is, it's not
> met by this specification.  Implementors might tell us, for example,
> that they don't need the ability to modify a redirect (why not just
> recreate) or that they'd prefer something which could handle redirecting
> URLs via pattern matching to another set of calculated URLs.

The ability to modify was added based on a Last-Call comment in 2000,
and the WG decided to accept it. See
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-issues.html#lc-58-update>.

> There seems to be one organization that implements REDIRECT authoring in
> a potentially-interoperable way -- I believe that's Julian's
> organization. I think that's great, and even better that they're

It's SAP (first time I've heard it called "Julian's org", but that
sounds nice :-). As a matter of fact, the Xythos client implements some
aspects of the protocol as well (discovery but not authorability).

Best regards, Julian