open (?) BIND issues, was: WG process (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-07.txt)

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

>> If you think that, you really should either bring them up (if new),
>> or  follow-up on the discussions we had on the mailing list. Claiming
>> that  there are open issues but not participating in discussing them
>> doesn't  seem productive to me. See (for instance):
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005AprJun/
>> 0001.html>.
>

> At this point I'm willing to consider the Bind/DeltaV interaction
> issues to be closed, but I'm not satisfied with the latitude given to
> servers to behave entirely differently with respect to access control
> and certain key properties (getlastmodified and getetag), because I can
> foresee serious interoperability problems and burdens for client
> implementors.  I can keep repeating myself about this, and sometimes do
> so, but I see little point to get into "Yes it is" "no it isn't" "yes
> it is" conversations. I tend to simply leave the last email from me as
> a record of my continuing position.

Lisa, this isn't helpful.

Jim W. and I had a long brainstorming on this issue; and I have written
down what we talked about. Both Jim and I spent a considerable amount of
time to get there. Again, this is in

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005AprJun/0001.html>.

It would be very nice if you could *read* that summary and follow up
once you've done that. I'd also like to point out that you seem the be
the single WG member who still has objections, so there *is* broad
consensus on this issue.

>>> difficult hurdle may well be the lack of reviews and implementors.  If
>>

>> We've got at least two implementations. How many do we need to for
>> "Proposed"?
>

> That's an excellent question and we may find that there are different
> answers.  For peer-to-peer protocol I'd say 3 implementations in the
> works, because that means that it's not enough to simply have a
> bilateral agreement between two implementors -- with three you really
> need consensus and eventually can test three pairings of
> implementations.  For client/server standards like ours, I'd say two
> clients and two servers would ideally be in progress by the time you
> ask for a Proposed Standard.  If there's only one server in progress
> then the whole standard will be geared toward the architecture that one
> server happens to have.  Similarly if there's only one client in
> progress then there's serious risk that the standard will only reflect
> one set of use cases and environmental assumptions.  If you have no
> clients in progress then the standard will have a serious bias to
> reflect the needs of server implementors.

Could you please clarify where the requirement for implementations
actually comes from?

Best regards, Julian