Re: WG process (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-07.txt)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:50:00 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
CC: 'webdav' WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>> Will the working group chair(s) start shepherding some or all of these
>> documents? If yes, which and when? If no, is there an expectation to
>> the WG to do any specific additional work so they can?
>

> Yes, I am willing to shepherd BIND, REDIRECT, QUOTA and/or RFC2518bis
> through this process -- provided they meet the bar.  For BIND, the
> document for which we have the most information, we still have
> underspecified areas and we haven't had the open and exploratory
> conversations to find out if we can firm those up, but the more

If you think that, you really should either bring them up (if new), or
follow-up on the discussions we had on the mailing list. Claiming that
there are open issues but not participating in discussing them doesn't
seem productive to me. See (for instance):
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005AprJun/0001.html>.

> difficult hurdle may well be the lack of reviews and implementors.  If

We've got at least two implementations. How many do we need to for
"Proposed"?

> we don't have the energy as a WG to finish that properly, it's my
> opinion that we could instead bring  BIND immediately to submission as
> an Informative RFC, where it would be an exemplary and high-quality
> example of that class.

That would indeed be preferrable to doing nothing at all (although,
shouldn't it be "Experimental" instead???); however I personally think
that the BIND spec really should be submitted for publication as
"Proposed" (in contrast to REDIRECT which *currently* seems to only have
one implementation).

Best regards, Julian