Re: Issue 71, Clarify what servers may and may not do with privileges when BIND is used

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> I agree with this.
>
> But what about conventions about whether resource permissions may be
> changed when new bindings are created to it?
>  - e.g. I have a share directory
>  --> I add a binding into the share directory, to a file that's in an
> unshared directory
>
> MAY the server change the permissions on the target file as a result of
> a bind operation?  That's what I expect the user might normally want,
> but it should probably be the responsibility of the client, not the
> server.  So we should say the server MUST NOT change the permissions?

Lisa,

this issue was discussed and resolved with the text proposed by Geoff in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005JanMar/0166.html>.

The BIND operations do not add anything interesting new to the
interaction between ACLs and namespace operations. If you feel the
WebDAV family of specs should restrict what a server may do beyond...:

"Handling of inherited and protected ACEs is intentionally undefined to
give server implementations flexibility in how they implement ACE
inheritance and protection."
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3744.html#rfc.section.7.3>)

then by all means raise this as issue against RFC2518 and/or RFC3744.
This really has nothing to do with BIND.

Best regards, Julian