Re: Specification philosophies

I share Julian's astonishment.

Gratuitous repetition is a significant source of potential
error for a careful reader, since after reading the same content for the
third time, a careful reader will often be driven in frustration to skim
over the repeated material, and risk missing some normative statement that
happened to only appear somewhere in that third repetition.

Given a choice of optimizing for the careful reader or optimizing for
the skimmer, I find it hard to believe we would chose to optimize for
the skimmer.

The question of whether to include different forms of specification
(i.e. text, pictures, examples) is very different.  Here I agree that
complementing text (which is essential and normative) with a few
carefully selected pictures and examples is very desireable.  I am
sure everyone agrees with that.