Re: looking for feedback on REDIRECT issue lc-57-noautoupdate

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:56:39 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

>>  What we could do is (1) note why auto-update may be a bad idea, and
>> possibly (2) define that redirects created by MKREDIRECTREF should not
>> behave that way (or alternatively define more specific resource types)."
>>
>> Today, I lean towards (1), that is we add a statement that redirects
>> that change their link target automatically can cause confusion, but
>> we do not forbid them.
>>

> That looks reasonable; I tend to lean even more towards making server
> behavior consistent when possible, but if we can't do that in this case
> we can at least provide guidance.

OK,

I added the following paragraph to the end of section 4:

    Implementation Note: Operations on the target of a redirect reference
    usually do not affect the redirect reference itself.  However,
    clients should not rely on this behaviour (for instance, some servers
    may update redirect references as a result of namespace operations on
    the reference's target).

(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-latest.html#rfc.issue.lc-57-noautoupdate>)

Best regards, Julian