rfc2518bis Safe Methods vs Redirection issue

From: Jim Luther <luther.j@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:02:43 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

In the HTTP/1.1 Specification Errata <http://purl.org/NET/http-errata>
there is a section titled "Safe Methods vs Redirection" which concludes
with "It would also be helpful for each of the method definition
sections to specifically define whether or not the method is safe.
OPTIONS, GET, and HEAD are all safe in RFC 2616. HTTP extensions like
WebDAV define additional safe methods."

I don't see anywhere in rfc2518 or rfc2518bis where WebDAV methods are
defined as safe or unsafe. rfc2518bis should probably state which
WebDAV methods are safe and which are unsafe.

In my code, I'm assuming PROPFIND is a safe method and that PROPPATCH,
MKCOL, COPY, MOVE, LOCK, and UNLOCK are unsafe methods by the
definitions in rfc2616, section 9.1.1 "Safe Methods". Does that sound
right to the working group?

- Jim