Re: quota-03 spec review, was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-03.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:20:08 +0200
To: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Brian Korver wrote:

> There seems to be a misunderstanding (due to underspecification?).
> The value of DAV:quota-assigned-bytes is intended to be deterministic.
> I guess that needs to be spelled out explicitly in the spec.

So what's the relation between DAV:quota-assigned-bytes and
DAV:quota-used-bytes?

> Since the only two implementations of the quota property
> that I know of don't make this distinction, I think it's
> difficult to argue for adding this requirement.

How are they supposed to make that distinction when they currently can't?

Anyway: if you want to write down what two specific implementations do,
then produce a non-WG track document, and try to publish through the
IETF (or elsewhere). If this is supposed to be a WG activity, you'll
also have to listen to those that do not currently implement it, but
might want to do so in the future.

If there's a split between things we have consensus on and extensions,
and the former part is useful on it's own, put *that* in the standard
tracks document and put the rest into an extension.

Best regards, Julian