Re: quota-03 spec review, was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-03.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:21:02 +0200
To: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Brian Korver wrote:

>> It's good that you ask; and I'm interested to find out what people
>> think. If we don't need this right now we can vastly simplify the
>> spec. On the other hand, if people want it, someone needs to figure
>> out how this is going to work in a predictable manner.
>
> It's a single value.

That's not an answer. If you have a "display" property and an authorable
property, and the former may return information depending on what's most
"relevant" at a given point of time, clients will have a hard time to
predictably change that property.

>> There is, for instance when mapping HTTP status codes (which should be
>> distinguishable) to OS error codes (for instance, Unix has different
>> errnos to map to).
>

> You lost me here.  I'm not sure what you're referring to.

For instance, MacOSX maps HTTP status codes to Unix error codes (it's a
filesystem mapper). Unix distinguishes between "no space left on device"
and "quota exceeded". The protocol should allow the client to
distinguish both cases.

Best regards, Julian