Re: IETF meeting comments

From: Bob Denny <rdenny@dc3.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:38:01 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org

Julian, et al. --

Thanks for your fast response. Lisa D. also answered privately. I do
appreciate the concerns of you both :-))

Creating an empty file when a lock null is received will certainly make
things possible again. I will try it, and press onward. My goal for the
moment is just to get DAV working with Dreamweaver, so that should reduce
the scope of patterns I must deal with :-)

One possibly useful thing would be to encourage the DAV client developers
to respect the DAV version and the list of DAV commands returned in an
OPTIONS request. It seems that at least some clients (GoLive and
Dreamweaver at least) don't look to see if LOCK and UNLOCK are in the
OPTIONS list. They send LOCK/UNLOCK regardless.

I got wound up tightly trying to support Microsoft's clients (with their
need for MS-Author-Via: DAV, non-standard dates, and crazy "extensions")
and gave up. I really don't care any more about Microsoft's DAV usage :-)))

Thanks also for the reference to papers. I'll review them.

  -- Bob