Re: Call for consensus on UNLOCK Request-URI being lock root

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:15:57 +0200
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Cc: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> I thought a little more about exactly how the redirect would work and
> there's a number of options, none of them very good.  I think this is
> moot since we seem to prefer #1 accepting the UNLOCK request even on the
> "wrong" URL, but a little discussion anyhow...

OK, I think we clearly have reached consensus to allow clients to
specify an indirectly locked resource in UNLOCK requests. This is because

- this is what servers do implement,
- what the issues list already mentioned as resolution for issue 65
(UNLOCK_WHAT_URL) (<http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm>)
- this is what GULP states after the changes discussed here some weeks

So please

- update the issues list accordingly (issue
- revert the change in RFC2518bis-05, possibly only clarifying the
original language

I already say:

"The UNLOCK method removes the lock identified by the lock token in the
Lock-Token request header from the resource identified by the
Request-URI, and all other resources included in the lock. Note that the
UNLOCK request may be submitted to any resource locked by that lock
(even those that are locked indirectly)."

I'll also mark the issue

Best regards, Julian