Re: WindowsXP and double login challenges

Just FYI, I did run across a workaround to one of the bugs in the
WindowsXP WebDAV implementation.

In particular, if I try to create a web folder by double clicking
on "Add a network place" in the "My Network Places" folder,
the wizard fails when it gets to the authentication step,
where the symptoms are that it replaces your login name "foo"
with "www.whatever.org\foo" where www.whatever.org is the site
of the webdav location you were trying to link to.

But if you fire up Word, and then do a "File: Open" command, and
select "My Network Places" and then double click on the
"Add a network place" entry in that folder, it fires up a
slightly different wizard, which does not have the bug.

Now how long will it take before Word is "fixed" to activate
the buggy wizard instead?  (:-).

Eric wrote on 07/09/2004 12:42:39 AM:

> This is basically a Microsoft problem not a WebDAV problem, which is why
you
> haven't gotten a response from a standards group.  Authentication isn't
> actually addressed in WebDAV either, but uses the HTTP stuff.
>
> The workaround I know of is that some vendors are including their
> authentication information in a cookie, which takes advantage of the
fact
> that some of the Microsoft clients share the authentication information
in
> the local cookie cache, whereas the HTTP authentication information is
not.

WebDAV