Re: FengAndy@aol.com

On a Macintosh, thumbnails icons for directories are stored in a
special file inside the directory (Mac OS 8 through 9 and Mac OS X use
different techniques for that file). Thumbnails icons for files are
stored in a file's resource fork (the Macintosh file system supports
two file forks -- See
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/Files/Files-14.html>).

To store a file's data fork and the file's resource fork and other
Macintosh-specific metadata on volume formats (like WebDAV) which don't
support Macintosh-style resources forks or metadata, the file is stored
in AppleDouble format (it's funny but the only place I can find the
AppleDouble documentation isn't on Apple web site -- it's at
<http://www.lazerware.com/formats/Specs/AppleSingle_AppleDouble.pdf>.
The AppleDouble formatted file is stored as two files. The data for the
file is stored in the "AppleDouble Data file" which has the file's
name. The resource fork and other Macintosh-specific metadata is stored
in the "AppleDouble Header file" which has the file's name with the
characters "._" prepended.

So, if you look at a WebDAV server that has files stored by Mac OS X
clients, you'll probably see files with names beginning with "._" --
that's where the thumbnail icons (if any) are stored.

If a non-Macintosh client wanted to display those icons, it would be a
lot of work. That client would have to know how to:

1 - Parse the AppleDouble Header file to get the Macintosh Finder
information (the metadata which contains a flag indicating the presence
of a custom thumbnail icon) and the resource fork.

2 - Interpret the resource fork to get to the custom icon resources
(see
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/MoreToolbox/MoreToolbox
-99.html for the resoruce file format).

3 - Display the icon resources (they are bitmaps (see
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/Toolbox/Toolbox-448.html),
'icns' resources (see
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/
Icon_Service_nd_Utilities/02concepts/chapter_2_section_4.html), or in
PICT format (see
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/QuickDraw/QuickDraw
-458.html) -- they aren't jpeg or gif).

So... a bunch of work just for thumbnails.

- Jim Luther