Re: edits on BIND draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:01:08 +0100
To: webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Cc: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>

Hi,

when thinking about actually *implementing* this stuff, I discovered
another issue here.

Take a server that allows Depth: infinity upon PROPFIND.  In general,
the only way to implement this efficiently is to *stream* the
multistatus response.  However this means that the server needs to
decide about the HTTP status code to return *prior* to actually doing
the recursion.  Therefore, requiring the server to return a 506 status
in case there's a bind loop somewhere below the request URI will not work.

An obvious alternative would be to allow the 506 to be returned inside
the DAV:status element for the resource the server refuses to recurse
into.  Of course that would mean that the client essentially would get a
partly incorrect picture of the server state.  However, I don't think
there's any way to avoid that (except for rejecting all Depth: infinity
PROPFINDs, like many servers already do).

Julian