Re: BIND vs RFC3253

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:52:03 +0100
To: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>
Cc: webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:
> If "updates" is our only choice for getting in a forward reference,
> that's certainly better than nothing.
>
> So I'm fine with having the bind spec indicate that it updates both
> RFC2518 and RFC3253.

I raised the issue on the ietf-discuss mailing list
(<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg23697.html>) and
consensus seems to be that "updates" can be used even if the new
document does not *require* the previous document (such as in RFC2396
updating the URI syntax without repeating definitions of specific URI
schemes such as "ftp").

Julian