Re: LOCK error marshalling (lockdiscovery property included?)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:31:10 +0200
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Cc: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> Hello client implementors! -- please respond on this thread and let us
> know if you use the 'lockdiscovery' property value, which is returned in
> failed LOCK requests.
>
> (If no clients use the property value as returned in failed LOCK
> requests -- maybe they all do another round-trip to get the value --
> then we might as well simplify, rather than optimize for this failure case)

OK,

I just tested Adobe Golive (the client besides our own I'm aware of
using shared locks) with Apache/moddav, trying to get an exclusive lock
on a resource that already has a shared lock. The response from
Apache/moddav is a 423 Locked, so no Multistatus.

Unless I'm missing something this means that the marshalling shown in
section 8.10.10 of RFC2518
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#rfc.section.8.10.10>)
indeed won't help any clients at all; and as it is underspecified we
should just get rid of it.

Proposed changes:

1) Change section 8.10.2
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#rfc.section.8.10.1.p.2>)
to say: "The response for a successful LOCK creation request MUST
contain the value of the lockdiscovery property in a prop XML element."

2) When we define named preconditions, define a content model for the
precondition that will reveal the lockdiscovery property.

Jason, could you please add this to the issues list? (I'm adding this to
my list as
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html#rfc.issue.8.10.1_lockdiscovery_on_failure>,
please let me know if should rephrase it).

Best regards, Julian