Re: Issue #68: UNLOCK_WITHOUT_GOOD_TOKEN

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:06:52 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> Is there some advantage to having a different error code for these two
> cases, or distinguishing between this error and the dozens of problems
> that can cause a 400 response?  Apache's model does not distinguish what
> the error is.    So the Microsoft approach has the advantage of
> distinguishing the two different cases. The Xythos/SAP approach has the

I was asking because we have an open issue on that. It seems that we
can't guarantee a particular server behaviour, but I was still wondering
what would be the most correct status for each of these cases. The spec
*should* state something about that.

That being said, a spec revision should define specific precondition
names, in which case what kind of 4xx is returned becomes less
important. A new client will just detect the general failure code, and
then take a look at the response body.

> advantage of using a more specific code (400 is the most generic form of
> bad request code, therefore less specific than 412) although it's the
> same for both these cases under discussion.  However, 412 is a little
> too specific for the case where the client omitted the lock token header
> entirely -- clients shouldn't have to expect a 412 error when the client
> sends a request without any "conditional" headers at all.

Correct. So it would be nice if we could decide whether "lock-tokem" is
an header that contributes to "precondition" checks as defined per
RFC2616 (I think it shouldn't).

> I don't have a strong opinion here so I'm not disagreeing with Geoff; I
> just don't know what's a good reason on which to base our choice, and
> wanted to list a few potential justifications.  Yet another
> justification could be "we have two servers doing it the same way, let's
> do it that way".
>
> Any other commenters before we declare a (very rough) consensus?  .Mac
> server implementors could tell us what they do...

Best regards, Julian