New Methods (was: Locking spec)

From: Elias Sinderson <elias@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:25:29 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Daniel Florey wrote:

> [...] I'd like to add transaction support to the locking spec as
> described in
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/wss/_esdk_arch_webdav_transactions.asp

I reading about the support for transactions at the URL included above,
I also saw that MS has introduced 'WebDAV notifications' as well. The
new methods they have developed to support this are SUBSCRIBE,
UNSUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY and POLL, and describe each as being a 'WebDAV
method'. Note further that MS has also defined batch versions of COPY,
MOVE, DELETE, PROPFIND and PROPPATCH: BCOPY, BMOVE, BDELETE, BPROPFIND
and BPROPPATCH.

I'm of the opinion that these methods aren't and should not be described
as 'WebDAV methods', for the obvious reason that they have not been
developed by the IETF WebDAV working group. Unfortunately, I'm not sure
what can be done about it either.

Elias