RE: Resolving RFC2518 issue 55 ("DISPLAYNAME")

I haven't heard any objection to this, and I think it's a good idea,
so I'm going to add it to RFC2518bis as things stand.

lisa

0108.html>
and the recent mailing list discussion
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JulSep/0123.html>,
I'd like to propose:

1) Deprecate DAV:displayname: clearly, we don't have interoperability
(some servers treat it as a dead property with or without a default upon
resource creation, some servers treat is as live property based on the
last path segment). Clients can not rely on the property being present
(mod_dav, SAP) or being writable (IIS, Sharemation?, Slide?).

2) As the RFC2518-stated intent was to provide a *description* of the
resource (which clearly isn't useful when it's always the same as the
last path segment after un-escaping), I'd propose to add a *new* dead
property to RFC2518bis called DAV:description which covers this. All
existing servers that support dead property (thus all RFC2518-compliant
servers) will automatically support this property, thus it can safely
added to RFC2518bis.

Regards, Julian