Re: OPTIONS *

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:29:58 +0100
To: Scott Lawrence <scott@skrb.org>
Cc: Jeffrey Mogul <Jeff.Mogul@hp.com>, Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org

Scott Lawrence wrote:

> I agree that the best that can be done now is to document what can and
> cannot be achieved with what we have (pretty limited, but it does make
> a good no-op message; we used it that way in RFC 2817).

Agreed. So I think what we want to replace is
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.9.2.p.4>:

"If the Request-URI is an asterisk ("*"), the OPTIONS request is
intended to apply to the server in general rather than to a specific
resource. Since a server's communication options typically depend on the
resource, the "*" request is only useful as a "ping" or "no-op" type of
method; it does nothing beyond allowing the client to test the
capabilities of the server. For example, this can be used to test a
proxy for HTTP/1.1 compliance (or lack thereof)."

Any proposals for replacement text?

Julian