Re: OPTIONS * (Was: RE: Comments on draft-dusseault-http-patch-00)

One of the problem with "OPTIONS *" is that it is easy for
a client to misunderstand the scope of the "server" that is
answering the request.  Commonly, a client will assume that
it refers to "any resource under /", but this will not be
the case when different servers are handling different
resources under "/".

So "OPTIONS *" is reasonably well defined in simple cases
where there is one server handling the entire web site,
but we shouldn't be defining protocols that only work for the
simple cases.

Note: It doesn't particularly matter if only a "few people
on the WebDAV mailing list" make a point, if that point is
valid.  Most people building web servers only read the
WebDAV mailing list infrequently, if at all, and even fewer
of them feel comfortable or have the time to post.  So we should
make optimal use of those that are consistent readers and
posters.