Re: Review of draft-ietf-webdav-quota-02.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:51:15 +0100
To: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Brian Korver wrote:

> On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Then please explain how the latest draft adresses the issue. Also
>> explain why mixing physical disk limits and quota is ok, although it
>> creates confusing behaviour *and* is incompatible with NFS.
>>
>> Julian
>

> Simple, we went with NFS's model rather than quota-limit.  So, if it's
> still confusing to you, then blame NFS.
>
> I didn't realize that compatibility with NFS was one of WebDAV's
> requirements.  ;-)

Brian,

as far as I can tell, there's nothing confusing with what NFS says. The
confusion arises because the quote spec

- marshalls disk limits and quota using the same mechanism (contrary to
NFS) and
- the quota spec introduces a new property for authoring quota.

Why doesn't the quota spec just *copy* the relevant parts of NFS (all we
  need to is map four property names)?

Julian