Re: Review of draft-ietf-webdav-quota-02.txt

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

>>True. This is a simplification that works well as long as the
>>quota is
>>not authorable. If it becomes authorable (by means of this additional
>>property), there's a big issue because the behavior of the server
>>becomes completely unpredictable.
>

> It should be simple to make things predictable by saying that the
> server MUST (SHOULD?) support only one quota if it allows that quota
> to be authored via the mechanism in this draft.

That would work, but seems like a hack. First we sell it as a feature
that the server selects a specific quota, and then a feature is added
that is incompatible with that.

> In practice, there is usually one important size limitation.  On a
> service like sharemation or Apple's iDisk, that's the quota.  On a
> hard drive that's the drive size.  Even though in theory there may
> be a size-limited hard drive behind a quota-limiting system, it won't
> change how things work except in extremely rare cases.  And let's not
> design a system that is optimized for the extremely rare cases.

We just reached agreement that physical disk limits should not be
treated as quota, right Brian?