RE: DAV Schema Assessment (was Re: rfc2518bis DAV DTD ...)

Eric,

> There's not much interest in Relax NG in actual vendor products.  Unless
> people are actually going to use validators, I don't think we should push
> Relax NG on people.

I think that's a non-issue. We don't want to push *any* particular language
on people. We were looking for something that would work better than DTDs,
and RelaxNG seems to do that (it can express what we want and it has a
readable syntax suitable for embedding in specs).

If the requirement for the notation actually is that it needs to be a W3C
spec and there have to be implementations by Microft, IBM and Oracle, then
we can stop this discussion right away. The only alternative to DTDs would
be XML Schema, and we know that it doesn't work. In which case we should go
back to the original question about what we want to say normatively about
the DTD fragments we use.

On the other hand, RelaxNG fulfills all technical requirements, has working
open source reference implementations, is as open as a spec as XML Schema
(although Oasis instead of W3C) *and* is on it's way to a real ISO standard
(something you can't say about XML Schema).