RE: Ignoring Versus Not Validating <!DOCTYPE ...>

Dennis,

RFC2518 hasn't forbidden a DOCTYPE so far, and as far as I can tell, this
never has caused an interop problem. So please let's stay focused in
identifying only those things that are broken.

What the spec should say is that a recipient MUST NOT attempt to validate a
message (either using a hard-wired DTD or a DOCTYPE declaration when
present). You are right that section 4.4 currently doesn't state this, so
this should be put onto the issues list (-> Jason, listening? :-).

Regards, Julian