RE: multiple "source" properties documents

I agree that the property could be extended in a variety of
interesting ways, but I do not consider that to imply that the
property is underspecified, but rather that the property is
appropriately extensible.   More comments below:

"Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com> wrote on 09/19/2003 03:30:15 PM:

> It does seem reasonable to use the source property today insofar as
> it can be used for simple cases.  It's a good bet that when
> eventually enough implementors need the feature and work on the
> specification, they can likely reuse the same property name.
> However, the format within the property name could be significantly
expanded.

> Here are some of my reasons already posted for believing the
> property is underspecified:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2002AprJun/0170.html
>
> Other minor and major reasons why the source property is underspecified:
>  - Unlike other places where URLs appear in property values, URLs in
> the source property value are not shown in <href> tags.  Was this
intentional?

I assume so, but I doubt there was a good reason for it.

>  - What do multiple 'link' elements mean semantically?

The link elements have no semantics beyond stating that the specified
DAV:dst resources are inputs to a process that creates the DAV:src
resources.  Extensions could provide more specific semantics, but this
general property would be enough to allow human users to do interesting
things with the information.

>  - Can the URL in 'dst', in a given source property value, be the
> same URL that the source property appears on?  Can it be different?

Yes.  What is not forbidden is allowed.

>  - Is this property scalable?  Sharemation's WebUI runs on hundreds
> of java files, with hundreds of java class files, a couple dozen
> java libraries, hundreds of text files including resource files, and
> dozens of images.  Would the 'source' property for the URL
> /xythoswfs/webui on www.sharemation.com really contain over a
> thousand links plus information on how they tied together?  Since
> some of these files can be changed without a recompile, would this
> property have to be dynamically calculated?  By what process?  To
> really handle this kind of situation, which isn't all that uncommon,
> the source property would have to point to some other authority or
> way to browse source files.  Perhaps the source property could point
> to some directory hierarchy where the source files are all stored &
> there would be more information within the properties of resources
> in that hierarchy.

One could certainly introduce scalability extensions, but there are many
processes that only take a few resources as input and those would not
require these scalability extensions.