  From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Geoffrey M Clemm
  Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 3:19 PM
  To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
  Subject: RE: ACL and lockdiscovery

  If the client doesn't have permission to do an UNLOCK,
  or if the lock automatically times out
  (the two use cases identified where the server is likely to withhold
  the lock token), the client either cannot do an UNLOCK, or does not
  need to do an UNLOCK.

  WRT clients that do not store the lock tokens, but rather try to steal
  any lock token that is allowed by access control, this violates the whole
  point of having lock tokens instead of just a server-side lock (i.e.
preventing
  two clients working on behalf of the same user from stomping on each
other),
  and such a client should be fixed, not catered to by servers.