WebDAV Compliance Case Studies

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> said:

>First of all, you are absolutely on the right mailing list. There's also a
>special WebDAV interop list, but that one is mainly used to organize and
>exchange interop test results.
>
>You didn't mention exactly *what* problems you see. In general, there are
>quite a few vendors that advertise WebDAV compliance, but test their servers
>only with the Microsoft webfolder client, therefore having lots of problems
>with other clients. On the other hand, you may also see client issues.

Excellent!

Then let me present our findings as separate, server-specific case
studies starting with the 4D WebSTAR V server (MacOS X, see:
http://www.4d.com/products/webstar.html) as reported by Cathy Locks
of our staff followed by results of the Litmus test and commentary by
Luke van der Westhuyzen, Product Coordinator 4D, Inc -
http://www.4d.com/

At 9:53 AM -0700 8/11/03, Luke van der Westhuyzen wrote:
>Here are the test results:
>
>  0. init.................. pass
>  1. begin................. pass
>  2. options............... pass
>  3. put_get............... pass
>  4. put_get_utf8_segment.. pass
>  5. mkcol_over_plain...... pass
>  6. delete................ pass
>  7. delete_null........... pass
>  8. mkcol................. pass
>  9. mkcol_again........... pass
>10. delete_coll........... pass
>11. mkcol_no_parent....... WARNING: MKCOL with missing intermediate
>gave 403, should be 409
>     ...................... pass (with 1 warning)
>12. mkcol_with_body....... FAIL (MKCOL with weird body must fail
>(RFC2518:8.3.1))
>13. finish................ pass
><- summary for `basic': of 14 tests run: 13 passed, 1 failed. 92.9%
>-> 1 warning was issued.
>
>Of the two failures/warnings, 11 is most likely to give you problems
>(wrong response code when trying to create a subfolder in a folder
>that does not exist), although even that does not ring a bell. Most
>of your issues seem to be in the initial authentication phase.
>
>It's a pity the test is not more comprehensive.

Dr. Frank Lowney  flowney@mail.gcsu.edu
     Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
     Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
     Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
     Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction
more accessible.