RE: URI scheme uniqueness

From: <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:22:41 -0700
To: "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>, "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

At 2:04 PM -0700 8/4/03, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>I don't object to this being an issue, and I'm happy to see
>suggestions for new wording.  However, I think we're missing
>something here.  You've already pointed out that using an
>IETF-registered schema doesn't guarantee uniqueness which is true,
>but the wording below suggests that you can't have uniqueness
>without having IETF registration. Rather, IETF registration and
>uniqueness are completely independent qualities.

I agree that they are independent, but we shouldn't lose sight of the idea that
registration tells you whether a scheme will or will not give you
uniqueness.  The
double issues for non-registered schemes is that you can get overlap (the same
human-friendly scheme names occur to lots of people) and those using
the scheme may have different ideas about the syntax as things evolve.
Both can really damage interoperability.  I encourage folks to
register schemes,
and we are now working again on the procedures for non-IETF trees, which
would allow people to do a lightweight registration.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie