Re: Etags changing on property value changes, WAS: rfc2518-bis-04 issues (part 1),

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I guess we need to distinguish two cases:
>
> - a PROPPATCH that indeed changes the result of a subsequent GET --
> this is a perfectly legal implementation, and I think nobody claims
> that if a PROPPATCH changes what GET returns the etag shouldn't change
> as well -- thus: a PROPPATCH MAY change the etag if it changes the
> content as well,
>
> - a PROPPATCH that does not affect the GETtable content -- I'm tempted
> to agree that this SHOULD NOT change the etag.

I think we're converging on this...

> The other issue was whether once we require this for etags, do we
> *also* need to require it for getlastmodified? My concern here is that
> once we normatively de-couple DAV:getlastmodified from property
> changes, there's no standard date property left that a client could
> use to monitor *any* state changes of the resource (which I think
> would be a really useful thing to have).

If clients can rely upon ETags not changing unless the GETable content
has changed, then there is no reason to depend on DAV:getlastmodified
for this. Furthermore, if this were the case, the notion of a PTag is
superfluous as a client could simply check that the ETag hasn't changed
while the DAV:getlastmodified value had...

> So if RFC2518bis changes the requirements for DAV:getlastmodified,
> this should *at least* appear in the issues list and should properly
> discussed on the mailing list.

Agreed.

Cheers,
Elias