RE: Etags changing on property value changes, WAS: rfc2518-bis-04 issues (part 1),

I guess we need to distinguish two cases:

- a PROPPATCH that indeed changes the result of a subsequent GET -- this is
a perfectly legal implementation, and I think nobody claims that if a
PROPPATCH changes what GET returns the etag shouldn't change as well --
thus: a PROPPATCH MAY change the etag if it changes the content as well,

- a PROPPATCH that does not affect the GETtable content -- I'm tempted to
agree that this SHOULD NOT change the etag.

The other issue was whether once we require this for etags, do we *also*
need to require it for getlastmodified? My concern here is that once we
normatively de-couple DAV:getlastmodified from property changes, there's no
standard date property left that a client could use to monitor *any* state
changes of the resource (which I think would be a really useful thing to
have).

So if RFC2518bis changes the requirements for DAV:getlastmodified, this
should *at least* appear in the issues list and should properly discussed on
the mailing list.