RE: rfc2518-bis-04 issues (part 2)

On Wednesday, 07/30/2003 at 03:42 ZE2, "Julian Reschke"
<nnjulian.reschke___at___gmx.de@smallcue.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Below is a list of issues I raised against draft 02 which IMHO have not
been
> adequately addressed in the latest draft (see [1] for the original
message).

> 02-C05 Section 6.3, p3
>
> Replace
>
> "However resources are free to return any URI scheme so long as it meets
the
> uniqueness requirements."
>
> by
>
> "However servers are free to use any IETF-registered URI scheme so long
as
> it meets the uniqueness requirements."
>
> (If it's not IETF-registered, I don't see how it can possibly meet the
> uniqueness criterium).

I'd vote to leave the text as it is.

> C02-14)  Section 8.11, The Effect of Locks on Properties and Collections
>
> "This means that if a collection is locked, its lock-token is required
in
> all these cases:
> -     DELETE a collection's direct  internal member
> -     MOVE a member out of the collection
> -     MOVE a member into the collection, unless it overwrites a
pre-existing
> member"
>
> I think the latter is not really consistent with RFC3253.
Perhaps I misunderstand the existing text, but I also suspect the
"unless it overwrites..." part is wrong.  If you do a MOVE and it's
actually a different resource in that slot, I think you do need the parent
collection's lock token.  It's only a PUT that doesn't require it.

> C02-30) Section 14.7
>
> "A change in a property SHOULD NOT cause the last-modified date to
change,
> because clients MAY rely on the last-modified date to know when to
overwrite
> the existing body."
>
> I think this is a new requirement that hasn't been discussed. BTW: it's
> inconsistent with the attempt to make ETags a MUST -- if you have Etags,
you
> don't have to rely on the last modified date anyway.

I don't know if we discussed it or not, but the wording that is there
seems
fine.  I do lack any compelling test cases to drive this issue in a
particular
direction though.  I will rhetorically ask what non-WebDAV browsers do
with ETags and lastmoddate.