Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-01.txt

From: Jim Luther <luther.j@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 07:46:05 -0800
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 07:53  PM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:

> Just for interests sake, is there any client that acts significantly
> differently if it were to receive a 4xx response instead of a 5xx
> response?  If not, this question is merely an aesthetic quibble (:-).

Yes there is a client that handles those responses quite differently.

The Mac OS X WebDAV file system client translates 507 to ENOSPC (No
space left on device) which is interpreted by most Macintosh
applications to mean the device is full; the WebDAV file system
translates 413 as a generic 4xx response to EINVAL (Invalid argument)
which is interpreted by most Macintosh applications to mean "something
wasn't right - who knows what?"

The Mac OS X WebDAV file system client is one of the few clients
actually using quotas today and has been for over 1-1/2 years now.

Jim Luther
Apple Computer, Inc.