RE: Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:37:05 -0800
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "'Jason Crawford'" <nn683849@smallcue.com>
Cc: "'Clemm, Geoff'" <gclemm@rational.com>, "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> A MOVE is a simple namespace operation. All it needs to do is
> check locks.
>
> A DELETE that cleans up in the foreground will need to check delete
> privileges on all descendants. This set can be very huge. I
> think it's an
> extremely bad idea to do this in a single transaction (yes, we tried).

Actually, collection MOVE suffers from the same problems as collection
DELETE.  Here are some of them.
 - You can't MOVE a file you don't have permission to write. Therefore,
the server must check write privileges on all descendants.
 - A WebDAV application server may be used to unify a number of back-end
storage servers under the same namespace.  So the server's URL
http://www.example.com/software/ may contain files stored on
//davfiles/software, whereas the server's URL
http://www.example.com/userdocs/ may contain files stored on
//davfiles/userdocs.  A server moving a collection from one of these
top-level-directories to the other would have to do a network
cross-repository move under the covers. This may not be feasible to do
atomically.

Lisa