Re: Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

From: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:22:54 -0800
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 04:48  PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
[snip]
> A MOVE is a simple namespace operation. All it needs to do is check
> locks.
>
> A DELETE that cleans up in the foreground will need to check delete
> privileges on all descendants. This set can be very huge. I think it's
> an
> extremely bad idea to do this in a single transaction (yes, we tried).
[snip]

Julian,

I agree, but I think it's even worse than this.  Semantically,
MOVE is merely a simple namespace operation, but in practice
it may be more than that.  For instance, a move across unix
filesystems must be implemented as a recursive copy (followed
afterward by delete).

-brian
briank@xythos.com