RE: RFC2518 issue: requiring ETags (Atlanta wg mtg)

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:09:45 -0800
To: "'Jason Crawford'" <nn683849@smallcue.com>, "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'Clemm, Geoff'" <gclemm@Rational.Com>, "'Webdav WG'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

> Let's use the SHOULD and let implementers understand why they SHOULD
> implement strong Etags.  Let the implementers weigh the
> "difficulty" case
> against the benefit case themselves.   And let's let the
> implementors that
> don't follow through on the SHOULD know if they are impacting
> us as users
> and if we're tempted to use a different product.  I know that
> user feedback
> is a strong motivator for most software developers.

OK, this is actually very related to an argument in favour of "MUST
support strong ETags".  Unless it is a requirement of servers, clients
simply won't implement it. And if clients (and client libraries) don't
implement it, users and even many developers don't have the choice.

It's a chicken/egg problem, too.  Server implementors won't take the
pains to implement ETags because they know most existing clients ignore
ETags.  How do we exit from this vicious circle?

Lisa