RE: Microsoft patent on typing Webdav properties

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:35:53 -0800
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> There used to be a grace period of 1 year after public disclosure for
> filing.

In this case, I still think we can demonstrate public disclosure. The
minutes from the August 25, 1998 DASL BOF at the Chicago IETF clearly show a
protocol that wraps SQL in XML and uses the SEARCH verb.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98aug/98aug-36.htm#TopOfPage
(see the slides)

As well, there are minutes from the previous LA IETF that also show this
protocol, and these are from a year before filing.

Additionally, it seems like the VESA case applies here, since DASL was led,
and pushed by Microsoft at the time, and the IETF had/has clear IP
disclosure rules.

Again, IANAL.

- Jim