RE: Microsoft patent on typing Webdav properties

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:35:53 -0800
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> There used to be a grace period of 1 year after public disclosure for
> filing.

In this case, I still think we can demonstrate public disclosure. The
minutes from the August 25, 1998 DASL BOF at the Chicago IETF clearly show a
protocol that wraps SQL in XML and uses the SEARCH verb.

(see the slides)

As well, there are minutes from the previous LA IETF that also show this
protocol, and these are from a year before filing.

Additionally, it seems like the VESA case applies here, since DASL was led,
and pushed by Microsoft at the time, and the IETF had/has clear IP
disclosure rules.

Again, IANAL.

- Jim