Re: shares

Brian Korver wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 12:56 PM, Andre John Mas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know whether with webdav there is any provision
>> to advertising the shares available on a given server? The idea,
>> with the, conjunction of a technology such as Rendezvous, would
>> be to list the servers with 'shares' in local area and then list
>> the webdav resources being made available by the server.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Andre
>

> Ander,
>
> No, there isn't.  It would be nice tho'.

If this indeed the case, maybe this is something that should be
examined?  Maybe a simple solution to this (note - two second
analysis ;) would be an XML file at the root. The file would
have a standard name, maybe something such as webdav.xml and
would list the shares:

   <webdav version="x.x">
     <description text="my shares"/>
     <shares>
        <share name="music" description="my music for you to discover"
           guest="yes"/>
        <share name="docs" description="development docs" guest="no"/>
      </shares>
   </webdav>

The server would have the option of dynamically changing the published
xml file depending on whether the file was request with a user name or
without. With this in mind, any client should probably support a
redirection to another URL which provides the data - this is in order
to allow retrofitting of this functionality to existing servers, and
maybe even indicating that the server has been moved?

   <webdav version="x.x">
      <redirection path="/servlets/sharelist"/>
   </webdav>

   <webdav version="x.x">
      <moved url="http://myserver/" message="server has been moved"/>
   </webdav>

   <webdav version="x.x">
      <unavailable message="this server be taken out of service"/>
   </webdav>

Although there is probably a lot that could be done, hopefully
this should serve as a seed for future work?

Andre