RE: Using If and not failing

Yes.

I wrote:

> Note that if we left out 2), this would be no change for RFC2518 at all,
and
> all servers compliant to RFC2518 should already behave as desired.

but I *meant* to write:

Note that if we left out 1), this would be no change for RFC2518 at all, and
all servers compliant to RFC2518 should already behave as desired.

What you say is true and applies to *any* "new" feature in RFC2518bis --
therefore it makes sense to avoid them wherever possible (thus the proposal
to use the If header instead of inventing a new header).