Re: Is HTTP/1.1 required for WebDAV?

From: Charlie Smith <SmithCW@ldschurch.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:24:43 -0700
To: luther.j@apple.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Great question.  I also would like to know if WebDAV works over https (SSL).

>>> "Jim Luther" <luther.j@apple.com> 01/31/03 10:28AM >>>

I thought it was pretty clear in rfc2518 (and rfc2518 bis) that WebDAV
servers and clients are HTTP/1.1 servers and clients because the
introduction section of the rfc starts off, "This document describes an
extension to the HTTP/1.1 protocol that allows clients to perform
remote web content authoring operations."

However, during interoperability testing I've found several servers
which return HTTP/1.0 in the Status-Line of their response message and
behave as HTTP/1.0 servers (i.e., they do not handle HTTP/1.1
persistent connections correctly, there are no Content-Length headers
in a response with a message-body, etc.). For the most part, the Mac OS
X WebDAV file system client works with these servers but it works much
slower because of transaction aborts and retries.

Should WebDAV clients refuse to use HTTP/1.0 servers and should WebDAV
servers refuse to work with HTTP/1.0 clients?

If yes, should rfc2518 bis make HTTP/1.1 (or later) a MUST?

Jim Luther
Mac OS X File Systems group
Apple Computer, Inc.

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.