RE: More issue resolution: OVERLAP_5.3_AND_8.7.2, XML_LANG_CLARIFY, COPY_LIVE_PROPS

The issue that I see here is that this is a *change* to RFC2518 that will make a subsequent WebDAV redirect ref spec harder than it needs to be.

PROPFIND on a collection is specific way to marshall information about it's internal members. Unless explicitly otherwise stated, it should faithfully reproduce what I'd get if I did a HEAD request on the internal member.

Thus, return a 2xx status in PROPFIND although a HEAD on the resource will return a 3xx is inconsistent and will make it harder for redirect-aware clients to distinguish between "simple" resources and redirects (when browsing collections via PROPFIND).

This paragraph only affects servers that both support redirects *and* make them visible through WebDAV. As far as I know, there's only one implementation doing this (ours), and we certainly would prefer that clients can rely on getting the 3xx status codes (instead of leaving that to the server).

> I'm currently happy with this because it ought to improve
> interoperability without making any new requirements or defining
> any new syntax -- it explains how it's possible already.  But
> everything is of course up for discussion, which is what we're
> doing.  This was first published back in March, FWIW.
>
> I can't find exactly where I got this suggestion, but I think it
> may have been from you, Julian.  This change went into RFC2518bis
> after our in-person interim meeting at Apple early this year.
> The notes for that meeting said that you were going to suggest
> language for this.
>
> http://www.sharemation.com/~milele/public/dav/minutes/wg-notes-jan-2003.
> txt

I honestly don't remember. However it's true thatg I volunteered to propose marshalling for the Location information, and I'll try to do that ASAP.