Re: Stronger requirements for ETags

From: Elias Sinderson <elias@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:15:12 -0700
To: Webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
Julian Reschke wrote:

> [...]
Obviously not an *official* term!  :-)  Perhaps another way to put it
would be to say that they would be 'barely' compliant? The general idea
being that if a server were to satisfy all of the MUST level
requirements but not the SHOULD level requirements it could be said to
be compliant with the spec, but just barely compliant.

>>Side note: Correct me if I'm wrong, but generating strong ETags just
>>doesn't seem all that difficult to me...
>>

>Well, if this is the case, why do both mod_dav and IIS fail to do that?

I can't speak for the server implementors, but I imagine the issue is
one of performance (as opposed to difficulty).

Cheers,
Elias