RE: Reminder: WG Last Call on Ordered Collections

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:30:11 -0700
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Geoff writes:
> The "principle of regularity" states that if a moved resource is moved to
> the end of the ordering in some cases, it is more regular for it
> to be moved to the end of the ordering in all cases, and not make the
> behavior dependent on whether the destination collection is the same as
> the source collection.
> For folks that expect regularity, it will be "less astonishing" for the
> behavior to be regular, and not special-cased in the way you suggest.

We actually have two logical operations hiding under the name "MOVE".
(a) One is a rename within a collection. (b) The other is a move (possibly
also with a rename at the same time) to another collection.

I don't think people would expect the same ordering behavior for (a) and
(b), since they view them as different logical operations.

- Jim