RE: RFC2518 bis, attributes on property names -- in or out?

Preserving namespaces is almost a given (I would be surprised if that was not already being done by most implementations).  However, I don't believe that the namespace aliasing must be preserved.  When returning the value, different aliases may be used.

This has no bearing, though, on random attributes (metadata) on the property name.  If you force persistance of these items, that means that you dictate a storage format that is XML.  WebDAV should not be in the business of dictating formats.

If the only reason for asking for persistance is for namespacing, there are other ways that information can be retained that does not tie the hands of the non-XML based property storage.

Joel